All The Way Up!
As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. At Christ Church, we realize that loving our neighbors must include not only people in our immediate area, but sisters and brothers from our wider diocese and Church. This recognition has led us to a new shared ministry initiative in Newark.
Christ Church in Short Hills has launched All The Way Up, an Adult Education Tutoring Program, to serve the underserved adult learner population in Newark’s Central Ward.
All Tutors become a valued part of the class, giving students support and allowing them to progress at their own pace. Tutors and Mentors will work one-on-one and in small groups with students who are struggling or need a boost, or work with the whole class to provide practical and moral support.
Tutors meet as their schedule allows. Tutoring sessions are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the House of Prayer, 407 Broad Street, in Newark. We will work with you to find a position that suits your schedule, interests and areas of expertise.
- Be dependable and prompt;
- Be able to commit to 10-12 sessions (weekly or bi-weekly);
- Be able to relate well to a variety of people;
- Be willing to maintain the confidentiality of the lessons;
- A college degree is encouraged, but not required (college students are encouraged to volunteer);
- Display good listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills;
- Be flexible; Be friendly; Be patient; Be optimistic; and
- Have a good sense of humor.
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values, cultures, and lifestyles;
- Increased skill in creative problem solving;
- Sense of belonging to a group focused on a common goal;
- Sense of accomplishment.
Join our team! Contact:
973-379-2898 ext. 111
For more information, visit our All The Way Up website.