All The Way Up!
As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. At Christ Church, we realize that loving our neighbors must include not only people in our immediate area, but sisters and brothers from our wider diocese and Church. This recognition has led us to a new shared ministry initiative in Newark.
Christ Church in Short Hills has launched All The Way Up, a High School Equivalency Tutoring Program, to serve the underserved adult learner population in Newark’s Central Ward.
Before entering All The Way Up, each prospective student is required to complete the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE) to assist our Education Team in effectively assessing and placing our adult learners with compatible tutors and education materials. Tutoring sessions are conducted three times a week. With a class size of six to eight students, and volunteers provided by our partnering organizations, All The Way Up is be able to provide the personal attention needed to effectively tutor, mentor and evaluate the needs of those striving to achieve more from their education. At the end of each semester, All the Way Up will provide the funds and encouragement necessary for our students to complete the High School Equivalency Exam at a licensed New Jersey testing facility. The small class size allows us to easily track and evaluate the progress and success rates of our students receiving their state-issued High School Diploma. Ultimately, our goal is to have one hundred percent of our students receive their degree.
All volunteers become a valued part of the class, giving students support and allowing them to progress at their own pace. Tutors and Mentors will work one-on-one with a student who is struggling or needs a boost, or work with the whole class to provide practical and moral support.
Volunteers meet as their schedule allows. Tutoring sessions are offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. at the House of Prayer, 407 Broad Street, in Newark. We will work with you to find a position that suits your schedule, interests and areas of expertise.
- Be dependable and prompt;
- Be able to commit to 10-12 sessions (weekly or bi-weekly);
- Be able to relate well to a variety of people;
- Be willing to maintain the confidentiality of the lessons;
- A college degree is encouraged, but not required (college students are encouraged to volunteer);
- Display good listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills;
- Be flexible; Be friendly; Be patient; Be optimistic; and
- Have a good sense of humor.
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values, cultures, and lifestyles;
- Increased skill in creative problem solving;
- Sense of belonging to a group focused on a common goal;
- Sense of accomplishment.
Join our team! Contact:
973-379-2898 ext. 111
For more information, visit our All The Way Up website.